Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Zen Dog Master Life Teacher

Observing dogs teaches me so much about how to live life! By observing the simplicity of the day to day living activites of my three dog companions I learn some many simple and profound lessons about living. For example, the concept of being present in the moment is so rich and rewarding when I take the time to just be with my ufrry family members and watch how much joy they experience by simply living each moment as if it were the only one. They are so content to go with the flow, yet so ready for something new and exciting to happen too. They accept what is with grace and peace. If I leave and my little Springer Spaniel Pepper really wants to come with me, he tries like the dickens to escape and come along but will sit and stay on my command even though he wants to come with me. He is of course disappointed that he can't come but he accepts it too and in a short period of time he either lays down and relaxes and sleeps or finds something else to amuse himself until I return. Then the party begins again for him. When they can't go and do what they want they are content to sleep when there isn't anything worth taking action about. Sleep is a great tool of acceptance for the dog. When there is no activity grabbing their attention then they conserve their energy by sleeping, waiting for the next exciting opportunity to re-engage in life.

Probably most interesting for me in observing m sweet canine companions is how gracefully they accept pain ad illness. They don't fight it. They just deal with it as best they can. I had a neighbr whose little dog Lobo had a very aggressive bone cancer that they caught early enough to save him. But they had to amputate one of his front legs in order to save his life. For all of us human beings observing this story unfold it was quite traumatic. For Lobo it was simply something to adjust to. In fact, their vet even commented, "Him losing his leg is going to be harder for you than it will be for him." And, as we watched the little guy heal, sure enough the vet was right. Lobo just accepted his new condition and adjusted. Now he runs around on three legs as if he never had four. And, we are all happy we are blessed with his presence for a little while longer.

Dogs can teach us so many things about acceptance and living life in the moment and just being with what's so. They bring us so much joy and so many profound lessons about living. I feel very blessed to ot only have my three canine companions to share my life with but also to be doing work that surrounds me with these amazing creatures everyday. As a professional pet sitter I get to live my dream of doing work that I love and get paid for it too. If you would like to know more about us please visit our website at http://www.doggiedivapetcare.com/ Life is good! Wag more, bark less!

No comments:

Post a Comment